Though it’s impossible to pronouce, it’s well worth it to invest in a feuerzangenbowle (German for ‘fire tong punch’). That is if you like mulled wine in the summer. For some reason the wine turns out perfect each time and isn’t too sweet or spicy. It’s important to preheat the bowl in the microwave and the wine mixture to a near boil on the stove prior to serving. The sugar should also be soaked in overproof rum for about 30 minutes prior to serving.
It’s an amazing pyrotechnic display and will wow your friends. Perfect for apres ski or a cold, wintry day. The kit and the sugar cones can be purchased at germandeli.com in the US or at edelweissimports.com in Canada.
The recipe below has been adapted slightly from that which came with the set:
|750 ml bottle||Half-Dry Red Wine|
|85g||Zuckerhut sugar cone (one third)|
|High proof rum|
- Heat red wine with juice and spices from one orange and half a lemon. Do not boil.
- Add a sliced orange and a sliced lemon. Simmer for 30 minutes.
- Soak the sugar in the rum for ~30 minutes.
- Add the contents of the bowl to the pre-heated glass bowl.
- Light the sugar cone and the tea light beneath the bowl.
- Wait until the sugar has melted and then serve.